The golden rules for professional writing and editing
These 12 golden rules are your first step towards becoming a skilled editor. They are your key to success!
- Write and edit to express, not to impress.
- Always write/edit so everything can be easily understood.
- Always write/edit so that nothing can be misunderstood.
- Say what you mean, clearly and simply.
- Use short sentences.
- Use short paragraphs.
- Use the shortest, simplest words possible.
- Write in the active voice.
- Avoid unnecessary words.
- Use verbs for action.
- Avoid jargon.
- If in doubt, leave it out.